If you had one chance, one opportunity to change someones day – would you take it? Would you give joy for no other reason then to brighten another’s day? It’s easy for us to answer yes, and most of us do – but it is often more difficult for us to act on it. Why? Some times we just don’t know what to do to spread kindness, some times we don’t know where to spread it or to who and some times we are just over thinking it. And some times we just need some one to show us the way. There are many ways to give joy that are simple and inexpensive, here are some to get you started:
- Let some one else go first – whether it’s in a grocery store line, at a drive thru or while driving – let someone go a head of you. You lose 10 seconds to 4 minutes of your day, it costs you nothing and it makes someone else smile – so why wouldn’t you do it.
- Buy a coffee for the person behind you. This act of kindness is quite common and it’s likely because it’s simple and not too expensive – also it takes no extra time out of your day. Often this act creates a ripple effect where the first recipient feels so much joy that they buy for the next person and so on and so on.
- Give a new or gently loved book away. There are many ways to do this one – we recently dropped off a gently loved book at our local library with a note attached asking them to gift the book to a child that came in that day. You can be as creative as you like.
- Bring in treats for your coworkers. Who doesn’t love a pick me up while at work? Bringing in something to share will help lift the spirits of the people you are surrounded by most of the day.
- Leave a quarter in your shopping cart. Most shopping carts at grocery stores require a deposit for use – leave your quarter in the cart for the next person – they will appreciate not having to dig through their purse or wallet for one.
- Write a nice note for a loved one or a stranger. Kind words can go a long way – share those words with someone else, verbally or in a note.
- Help a neighbour. If you see a neighbour carrying in a lot of groceries, struggling to move a large piece of furniture or appliance, or shoveling by themselves – take a few minutes to reach out and help.
- Flowers. Give the gift of flowers to someone unexpected – you can buy them or cut them from your own garden (when in bloom), leave them on a porch, hand them to a friend, a loved one, a stranger.
These are just a few ideas to get you started – be creative, have fun and keep giving joy – the world will be a better place because of it!
Have a great day! And remember, in a World where you can be anything – Be Kind!